onsdag 24. februar 2016

The most unexpected victory ever: Deer Run 1 - 2016 Istanbul

Sometimes good things come so unexpectedly that you miss the opportunity to make the most out of them...
On Sunday I participated in one of the most fun and well organized trail races I have ever been to: race number 1 of 2016 in the Geyik Kosulari (Deer Runs) series in the Belgrad forest of Istanbul. I picked this race long before moving to Istanbul, when I was trying to find a race that could be combined with visits from my running buddies from Norway. To be honest, I picked it just because the date was convenient, and I could never imagine that it would be such a well organized, challenging, and fun event.
Frank, and our friends Bente and Arvid from Norway also signed up, and they arrived a couple of days before the race, to leave enough time for acclimatizing and keep our legs going with quite a bit of sightseeing. We all felt fit for fight and ready for the unknown. But, as it happened several times before, my body likes to make pre-race time more exciting than necessary. Just like it was the case with the Blåmanen Race 3 in November, also this time suddenly I was not at all sure that I would be able to participate until the morning of the race.

The night before the race was as sub-optimal as it could be. I had to rush to the hospital due to an acute infection and was immediately put on antibiotics. The night ended up short with uncomfortable sleep, but in the morning I was fortunately feeling much better, except the strange feeling one has when on antibiotics. The advantage of having other things than the race to think about is that one is not as nervous about the race itself, and one gets so intensively happy when it becomes clear that one is actually able to participate. The insecurity of a possible problem during the race also makes one let one's shoulders down, which might in the end turn pretty advantageous for the race performance.
I had signed up for the 14 km course, and I was not sure what kind of time to aim for. The organizers advised that 14 km on this trail race would take almost the time one has at a flat half marathon. I had run in this forest once before, not exactly at this course, with my friends from Team Istrunbul, and I found that the half marathon time was probably a little bit exaggerated. On the other hand, at Bergen Fjellmaraton, which is a mountain half marathon, I spend one hour more than my flat half marathon time, so in that sense, the recommendation could make sense. In the end I concluded that I would be very happy to finish in 1:50 or less, and I lined up at the 1:50 flag at the start line. There I also found a couple of friends from Team Istrunbul, and it was calming to chat to them just before to the start.
The course turned out to be so much more interesting and adventurous than I had expected. I was somehow expecting wider tracks, like tractor roads, but we were mainly on real nature narrow trails, had to climb over and under fallen trees, jump over ponds of mud, with several steep ascends and descends. There was also much more elevation gain and loss than I had expected. Most people were not wearing trail running shoes, and I felt that I had a big advantage in the muddy uphills and downhills. There was indeed a lot of mud, and the mud is different than that in Norway. This one is more like clay, it sticks to your shoes and makes them heavier and heavier as you go.

The first part of the race was mainly uphill, but with some downhill and flat parts to give a rest. Feeling a bit the effect of the antibiotics, I was mainly following my heart rate, making sure not to exceed my threshold. At the 6th kilometer, as I was anyway getting pretty tired, the sun came out and hit me right in the face, and that gave an amazing boost of energy. Just after that I saw the sign that we were getting close to the drink station, so I quickly grabbed a gel and drank it just before I reached for a few cups of water. Filled with renewed energy, and with the path going slightly downhill for quite a while from then on, I was feeling much better and started to recalculate my target finish time. I figured I should be able to finish below 1:40.
It was all going perfectly well until there were 3 km left. I was not expecting any more real uphills, but suddenly the path took a sharp left, and the person on duty standing there cheerfully acclaimed "Come on, the last uphill!". OK, just one last uphill I can do, I thought. But that one uphill was a long and steep one; it took almost a kilometer. Perhaps sub 1:40 was too optimistic after all? Recalculating at the 12th km sign, I thought I could still do it. I grabbed another gel, fell while fiddling with it, but got up quickly, and got a real energy boost to go the last part. But when there was only one kilometer left, there was a new uphill. How is that at all possible? Before start, I was watching the first round of the 28 km, and I knew that it was downhill towards finish. So I was not at all prepared for this last uphill which lasted for about 500 meters. At that point I was really angry and I even shouted a few swear words I'm afraid. Anyway, finally the uphill ended and I could run with all that I had for the last few hundred meters down to the finish line. 1:38!!!! And extremely happy!
In fact we were all very very happy with our performances, and with the organization. First of all, there were so many more participants than I expected. And it was so well organized, with many officials along the course showing the way, taking photos, and cheering on, and a lot of people handing out all sorts of food and drinks after the finish line that I did not know what to take. Although we changed into dry and clean clothes, we still started to feel cold pretty soon. When we got a chance to get a ride with my university's shuttle almost all the way home, we grabbed that opportunity and hopped on. I was after all on drugs and did not feel too well at that point.
What I realized only after coming home and checking the results online was that I had won my class!!! And that with 11 minutes' difference to the next person! So, I became number 1 of the nine ladies in my class, and number 8 of all the 77 ladies who started in the 14 km course. Wow! That was so unexpected. In fact, as I have said to so many friends, it has been one of my biggest goals: to win my class in some race. And it happened now! But I left the arena before the ceremony, and thus lost the opportunity of going on the podium and receiving an especially designed medal for the class winner... What can I say? I simply hope that there will be other opportunities.

The day after the race I fell sick, and in that sense perhaps it was good that I took the earliest ride home, so that I did not get even sicker afterwards. But I think the medal ceremony would have been worth it. Perhaps you are thinking that I should not have raced at all, being on drugs, reduced and all. But believe me, it was totally worth it! It was an amazing experience! And I feel so incredibly lucky that I felt so good on exactly the race day, as the day before or the days after I would definitely not be able to race.

Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must, just never give up....

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar