lørdag 25. juli 2015

Back to basics

Back to mountains; back to bootcamp!
Holiday in the sun with family and friends I don't get to see that often was truly wonderful, but you know that I was really really looking forward to getting back to some uphill training. Coming back home and going back to my routine training has been even better than expected. The few days back in Bergen have been full of wonderful training, and my legs are loving it. I have also been lucky to meet many of my running and training friends in just a few days, and I feel super energized with renewed motivation. I am still partly on holidays, and a few times this week I trained twice a day with some sleep in between. It is so nice that it strengthens my wish to be able to do this for a longer period some time in the future. I do keep telling myself, though, "Don't get carried away now; do not make the mistakes of the past". And believe me, I am cautious!

I wanted to do a real mountain hike as soon as coming back to Bergen, and I am blessed with friends who are so spontaneous that I could do it with them already the day after arrival at home. We had an easy pace hike up to Gullfjellet Wednesday afternoon, chatting and laughing all the way up and down. Still some snow there on the path towards the top, but much less than I was expecting, considering how much there was during the Gullfjellet Opp race in June
I also wanted to get back into serious strength training. Although I did quite a lot of it during the holidays, it is just not the same without an instructor or a trainer. Ketil is on holidays for another couple of weeks, and I wanted to fire up my muscles before resuming our personal training sessions. What better way to do it than to have double floor classes at Barry's Bootcamp?! My lovely training buddy Irene, who is by the way scheduled to give birth in three weeks and still in full training, and I made plans to go to some sessions together, and already Thursday morning I was at a core (abs) session under the instruction of Christian, and my goodness it was tough. I think I have left my abs a bit unattended during the past three weeks. Christian put high intensity and kept the heart rate going  high throughout the class, and I cannot ever remember to have sweated that much during a strength training session; sweat was dripping from my nose tip, ear flips, and elbows. Afterwards I was completely exhausted; I could not remove myself from the couch for several hours.
Christian is not only a great instructor; he is also an infinite source of motivation at all times. He has an incredible story, which is so inspiring that whenever I feel down or sorry for myself because of injury or pain, I read a couple of his posts to draw myself up. He has a serious illness, cystic fibrosis, which disables about 70% of his lung capacity. Without training he would actually die. In fact it is such a mind blowing dilemma. Thanks to his intensive training he is able to slow down the progression of his illness. However, he cannot become an old man unless he gets a lung transplantation, which he is not yet sick enough to get since he is fighting his illness so well. He improves his shape and runs marathons, and then comes a rainy winter with lots of infections where all training is lost, and he is back to square one. He repeats this restlessly over and over again. Whenever I feel like complaining, I think of Christian. He is so strong, and nobody should complain unless they fight at least as hard has him.
The same afternoon, Frank and I went for the regular Melkesyre Stoltzekleiven training. I pushed it but I was still a couple of minutes behind my personal record. A bit disappointing, since I was very close to my record just before the summer holidays, but OK since I had heavy legs from the strength training and the Gullfjellet hike, and it has after all been three weeks with no uphills. Fortunately, the race is still two months away, and I hope that gives enough time to get back into shape and improve my recorded race time. On the positive side, from the top of Stoltzekleiven we had a wonderful easy jog up to Rundemanen and Blåmanen, which was a lot of fun and went really well with respect to my injury.  My hamstrings are working quite well now for steep uphill fast walking and slow terrain running, although I am still no good at flat fast running. I think the treadmill intervals of Barry's bootcamp classes will be a nice way of getting back into speed training without putting too much strain on my injury, and on Friday I was planning to attend a regular class. But listening to my body (wow, I am good at this now!), I figured that it would be better to rest my legs, and I went again for a double floor class (no treadmill, just strength training for the whole hour). To my big surprise Ketil and his fiance Mona were there to attend the class, and I had the bench between Ketil and Irene, with Mona just behind; you can imagine the pressure I felt!
So great to meet and catch up with all these wonderful people all at once and so unexpectedly. The class was instructed by Tage the legendary, who brought Barry's Bootcamp to Norway, first to Bergen, then to Oslo, and soon to open a second branch in Bergen. No matter how good or bad shape you are in, bootcamp classes are a great way of getting into better shape. They can prepare you to start running faster or longer distances, in addition to making you stronger, or make you even faster and even stronger if you are already in great shape. I daresay it is more efficient than any other training for strength and speed.
In the meanwhile I am of course also back to my HSR training with the regular machines, and back to training sessions with Melkesyre. Although I do my own variant sometimes (walking up Stoltzekleiven instead of running intervals to Fløyen) it is simply wonderful to meet my gang before the start of a session and to rejoin them at the end. The HSR is going well, too. I was happy to see that I have kept or increased the weight on all exercises. On top of that, my injury feels even better now after a few days of uphills. The only disappointment is the leg curl which is still at the same weight and pain level as it was before the holidays. But I am able to do it properly and draw my leg all the way up to my butt. The day I will be able to increase the weight on this exercise will be a new milestone. I am looking forward to it!
Patience is power.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar